Sheffield student stranded in Spain after gang beat him and stole his passport


A University of Sheffield student is stranded in Spain after thugs beat him, tore up his passport and stole his phone.

Kieran Spencer was attacked by a gang of four in an alley after the Reds’ Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid.

The 21-year-old was allegedly beaten and spat at by the gang hours before returning to Manchester.

For more information and stories about Sheffield, click here.

His mobile phone – which was the only means of payment he had, boarding passes and Covid certificates were stolen by the thugs, reports Manchester Evening News.

It is understood he was not seriously injured but was punched and kicked in an alley in the early hours of Saturday last weekend.

Pal Jamie Watson, 23, from Bolton, hosted a GoFundMe page to take him home.

“His friends and family are all worried sick,” Jamie said. “No one can get in regular contact with Kieran as he relies on locals to borrow their phones to get in touch.

“His only option was to wait for the embassy to reopen.”

Kieran’s friends are now rallying to bring him home safely.

Through them, his family said more should be done to help young overseas tourists who find themselves in a situation like Kieran’s.

Kieran studies at the University of Sheffield and is an avid Manchester United fan. His friends said he was part of a group who travel to watch the Red Devils play whenever they can.

He flew to Madrid on his own but met friends there and was staying in a rented apartment in the city ahead of last Wednesday night’s game.

Jamie said details were scarce, but apparently Kieran was granted access to the embassy when it reopened on Monday.

He thinks he has now applied for an emergency passport, but faces a wait of a few days.

“We’re not too sure about the whole story because we haven’t had any contact with him,” Jamie said.

“Kieran was in Madrid to follow his favorite football team, Manchester United, as they took on Atletico Madrid in the Spanish capital.

“This all happened hours before he returned to Manchester.

“He managed to message me on Saturday through a random Instagram account.

“They’ve ordered an emergency passport but it’s taking a few days and we think he’ll be able to get home the earliest on Wednesday.”

Jamie said friends had booked him a hotel for Monday and a flight, but said he was told Kieran had slept at one of Madrid’s two airports in the meantime.

Jamie said: “At first he didn’t have a phone and was basically on the street.

“It looks a lot better now, but on Saturday night people were very worried about him.

“He was just trying to borrow people’s cell phones, I think.”

United drew the first leg of the knockout tie 1-1, with Anthony Elanga equalizing the Reds in the 80th minute.

For the latest email updates from Yorkshire Live, Click here .


Comments are closed.