Fans of “Tuck Everlasting” might recognize this scenic spot – it’s a fairly accessible hiking trail in the Ozarks.
Wine valleys, charming towns and natural springs distinguish northern Arkansas and make it unique in the United States. Additionally, the area is home to the magnificent Ozark Mountains, a stunning location filled with natural beauty and perfect for countless activities including mountain biking, hiking, boating, fishing, horseback riding, and more. People who want to see the wondrous Ozark National Forest and take in the spectacular views of this iconic northern Arkansas gem can head to one of the most photographed locations in the state, Whitaker Point.
This unique rock is an Arkansas gem also known as Hawksbill Crag. It attracts thousands of visitors every year who reach the stunning rocky peak by hiking up the thrilling Whitaker Point Trail.
Here is a guide that helps people know how to hike the iconic Hawksbill Crag.
Here’s What to Know About the Whitaker Point Trail Hike
In the magical Ozark National Forest in northern Arkansas is the iconic 2.9-mile Whitaker Point Trail, which draws thousands of visitors each year to see its alluring waterfall and viewpoint. breathtaking. Additionally, Hawksbill Crag is accessible year-round and is rated as moderate, with an elevation gain of only about 400 feet.
In addition, animal lovers will especially enjoy the hike since their dogs can accompany them on the trail. However, although the trail is considered moderate, most people find it easy to complete. Indeed, the Whitaker Point Trail is well marked and you can reach the summit to the viewpoint in 30 minutes. Also, it only takes 20 minutes to get back down.
- When to visit: The best time to visit the Whitaker Point Trail is at sunrise or sunset. This is because the trail is very popular and very crowded during the day. Also, people who want to take the best photos are recommended to do so when the location is less crowded.
After reaching the viewpoint, people can see a rock formation protruding from the cliff. From above, they can admire the beauty of Whitaker Creek in addition to a wide and wonderful valley that stretches out. Thus, hiking the Whitaker Point Trail is a must as it is easy to complete and the views are iconic and mesmerizing.
Here’s how to get to the Whitaker Point trailhead
People wishing to reach Whitaker Point Trailhead can only do so by car. However, they should expect to face some difficulty as the road to the trailhead is rough and unpaved.
- advised: Since the journey to the Whitaker Point trailhead is not straightforward and may pose problems for visitors, visitors are advised to reach the destination using a four-wheel drive vehicle. Although it is possible to drive easily along the gravel road, the difficult part sets in after leaving the main road and reaching the unpaved path. This part takes about 20 minutes to complete.
- Advice: People should drive slowly concentrating completely on the bumpy road.
- How to reach: Those wishing to reach the Whitaker Point trailhead can do so via two country roads. One from the south and another from the north. The latter has a steep uphill section, while the southern route is simpler with no steep incline. So those who want to reach the trailhead from the north would be better off driving a 4×4.
When people reach the trailhead they will find a small parking area. However, they may need to park along the road during hot summer days. People will also find a large sign that provides a description of the hike. Opposite this sign they can find the start of the trail, marked with a white sign.
What Whitaker Point has to do with Eternal Tuck
Whitaker Point Trail has been named the best place to be kissed, the best place to be proposed, and the most beautiful place in Arkansas. But that’s not all; Disney’s hit film Tuck Everlasting also featured opening scenes from the iconic Hawksbill Crag. This has helped make the place much more well known and a great destination that offers exceptional views for nature lovers in Arkansas. Hiking Whitaker Point Trail is a thrilling activity in itself, and people will have the chance to witness unprecedented scenic views.
- advised: People are advised to hike Hawksbill Crag during the fall season and enjoy the fantastic foliage scenes.
People will also see the splendid beauty of the rock itself and enjoy glimpsing the magical cliffs. The shadow of the clouds on the mountains is also another wonder to behold. Whether you want to take the most amazing photos of breathtaking views, feel a sense of accomplishment, or relax and enjoy the most spectacular scenes in Northern Arkansas, hiking the Whitaker Point Trail is the place to be. response to such an unforgettable adventure.
Next: Outdoors in the Ozarks: A Guide to Hiking and Climbing
Ontario’s Complete Travel Guide – Things to Do, Activities and Food
About the Author